Prison escapees captured in Highlands


HIGHLANDS – Three Liberty County inmates who escaped from jail last week were apprehended June 26 at a residence in Highlands.

At approximately 5:45 p.m. federal marshals, acting on a tip, entered a residence in the 800 block of S. Main Street, across from St. Jude Thaddeus Catholic Church, where they apprehended Lloyd F. Lowe, Daniel J. Redden and Jasper S. Rivera. When they were arrested, the three had shaved their heads and were wearing civilian clothes.

Liberty County Sheriff Greg Arthur said that the three were arrested without incident, although one marshal reportedly sustained a minor injury during the arrest.

Lajoy Ann Soileau, 31, Lowe’s girlfriend, was also arrested for aiding an escape.

When the arrest was made, Arthur said that a 12-guage shotgun was in the escapees’ possession, although the inmates did not fire the weapon.

The trio escaped from the old Liberty County jail on June 23, just after 1 a.m. During the escape, the three overpowered a guard and took his keys. When they were unable to use the keys to escape, it is believed that they were able to gain access to the crawl space about the ceiling and knock out bricks in an exterior wall.

At the time of the escape, Rivera and Redden were being held in the jail as they waiting transfers by U.S. Marshals. Rivera is serving a sentence for armed car jacking and felony possession of a firearm. Redden is serving a 130-month sentence for conspiracy and possession with intent to distribute methamphetamines.

Lowe was being held on aggravated robbery and burglary charges. He is believed to have been part of an armed robbery that took place on April 6 in Raywood. During the robbery and home invasion, police said that Lowe and two others led Daisetta police on a high speed chase which eventually ended with an officer fatally shooting one of the suspects.

After the escape, it is believed that the trio stole a gray 2002 Ford Mustang in Liberty, which they drove to Harris County. One area residents reported seeing a vehicle matching the license plate of the car on Beltway 8 near Wallisville Road just after 4 p.m. the day of the arrest.

During an interview with police, Lowe said they made numerous location changes over the four-day period and had not been at the Main St. location very long when caught. After the arrest, the three were taken to a federal building in Houston where federal and state escape and assault on a correction officer charges are expected to be filed.