Austin, TX — The Texas Senate Democratic Caucus sent the following letter to Governor Abbott:
Dear Governor Abbott:
The members of the Texas Senate Democratic Caucus urge you to immediately call an emergency special session to address gun violence in Texas in the wake of this latest gut-wrenching tragedy. We demand that this special session include passage of legislation that would:
• Raise the minimum age to purchase a firearm to 21;
• Require universal background checks for all firearm sales;
• Implement “red flag” laws to allow the temporary removal of firearms from those who are an imminent danger to themselves or others;
• Require a “cooling off” period for the purchase of a firearm; and
• Regulate civilian ownership of high capacity magazines.